Did you know cases get elongated after every shot?
After repeatedly shooting a case it eventually will exceed the SAMMI spec and may not fit properly in the chamber. At this point a case trimmer is used to reduce the length of the case to within spec. Please refer to your loading manual for the specs of your specific case.
Case trimmers come in several types. Manual, powered and part of a “do all” unit that can preform all the necessary case preparation. Manual are the lest expensive and are geared for smaller lots of brass to be trimmed. Powered are a little more expensive but make it easier to process brass more quickly. The “do all” unit can perform all the necessary brass preparation steps but is pricey.
Check out our recommendation below for the best case trimmer.
This is the best product on our list currently in stock:
Our Picks for the Top 5 Case Trimmers
|1||Lyman Brass Smith Case Trim Xpress Case Trimmer||Check Price|
|2||Frankford Arsenal Universal Precision Case Trimmer||Check Price|
|3||RCBS 90366 Trim Pro-2 Kit with Spring Loaded Shell Holder||Check Price|
|4||Hornady Cam Lock Trimmer 050140||Check Price|
|5||Hornady 050012 Lock-N-Load Case Prep Center||Check Price|
1. Lyman Brass Smith Case Trim Xpress Case Trimmer
- Speed and accuracy approximately 15 bottle neck cases per minute
- Variable speed motor and ultra-sharp, long lasting carbide cutter
- Comes with a set of 10 bushings – no pilots needed
- Low volume noise during operating
- Not bolted to the bench needs to be hand held
2. Frankford Arsenal Universal Precision Case Trimmer
- The universal case trimmer easily attaches to a 1/2″ hand drill or a drill press
- Adjustable collet system works with all shouldered cases from .17 Remington to .460 Weatherby
- Includes built-in micrometer with one thousandth increments
- You may want to upgrade to a carbide cutter
- Need to supply drill press or hand drill
3. RCBS 90366 Trim Pro-2 Kit with Spring Loaded Shell Holder
- Obtain 0.001 inch case trim accuracy with the Trim Pro 2
- The spring-loaded shell holder securely locks the case in alignment with the cutter
- The design prevents a case from wobbling when being trimmed to length
- Hand operated
4. Hornady Cam Lock Trimmer 050140
- Micro adjust cutter allows . 001″ changes without moving the case
- Replaceable cutting head is made of ultra-hard tool steel
- Includes 7 of the most popular pilot sizes: 22 cal, 6mm, 270 cal, 7mm, 30 cal, 38 cal and 45 cal.
- Hand operated
- Only works with Hornady shell holders will not work with RCBS or LEE shell holders
- Works better if its screwed down
5. Hornady 050012 Lock-N-Load Case Prep Center
- Micro adjustable trimmer
- Combines a power trimmer with chamfer/debur tools, large and small primer pocket cleaners, six popular neck brush sizes
- Trims small to large cases measuring ¾ in to 3¼ in length
- Not just a trimmer, performs all the necessary case prep functions into one unit
- Will cost more than just a dedicated case trimmer
We hope you enjoyed our reviews and recommendations for the best case trimmer.