At one point or another in your shooting experience you probably considered reloading your own ammunition.
Whether you shoot rifle or pistol the idea of reloading to improve accuracy or reduce the cost of ammunition probably crossed your mind.
Certainly if you are considering entering shooting competitions in the future reloading is a must. Both from the standpoint of tuning the barrel to the best possible load and based on the fact that many custom firearms will not accept factory ammunition. Case in point my competition rifles have custom necks and requires that neck cases be trimmed in order to fit into the barrel.
So if you are new to shooting and don’t have a lot of experience a Starter Reloading Kit may be the way to go.
For some individuals who would like to do some research you may consider constructing your own starter kit with your own preferences for the individual components. Either way works.
Be aware that although these kits contain most of the items you need you will still need to purchase additional equipment. Most commonly dies, caliper, case tumbler, etc. are required. Something to consider is that the initial reloading equipment is not inexpensive and may not be suitable cost wise for casual reloading. For me I feel reloading is part of the shooting process and I don’t look at it as a money saving venture.
If you are just starting out be especially careful to read and follow the recommended loading information contained in your reloading manual. You can find a lot of reloading data from the powder manufacture’s websites. Always be careful to start at a minimum load when you are just starting out to avoid an unsafe condition.
Be safe and shoot straight!
This is the best product on our list currently in stock:
Our Top 3 Reloading Kits
|Hornady Lock-N-Load Classic Reloading Press Kits
|RCBS 9354 RC Supreme Master Kit
|LEE PRECISION Classic Turret Press Kit
1. Hornady Lock-N-Load Classic Reloading Press Kits (Our Pick)
Great kit for the beginner, Includes:
- Digital Scale
- Primer Catcher
- Positive Priming System
- Handheld Priming Tool
- Universal Reloading Block
- Chamfer & Deburr Tool
- Lock-N-Load Powder Measure
- Lock-N-Load Die Bushings (3)
- Powder Trickler
- Powder Funnel
- One Shot Case Lube
- Reloading Handbook
- Additional parts and equipment are required (i.e. digital caliper, dies, case trimmer,etc.)
2. RCBS 9354 RC Supreme Master Kit
Everything you’ll need to be a successful reloader, Includes:
- Rock Chucker Supreme Press
- M500 Mechanical Scale
- Hand Priming Tool
- Uniflow Powder Measure
- Hand Priming Tool
- Universal Case Load Block
- .17-.60 Debur Tool
- Hex Key Set
- Case Lube Kit
- Powder Funnel
- You will need need to purchase a set of dies and case holder as a minimum
3. LEE PRECISION Classic Turret Press Kit
This kit and a set of Lee dies is everything you need to begin reloading. The kit includes the Pro Auto-Drum powder measure and riser, perfect for all handgun and small rifle cartridges. Includes:
- Classic turret press
- Pro Auto-Drum powder measure and riser
- Large and Small Safety Primeare
- Instant change turret
- Case conditioning tools includes Cutter, Lock Stud, Chamfer Tool, small and large Primer Pocket Cleaner, and a tube of Lee case sizing lube.
- Cartridge specific Case Length Gauge
- Lee Safety powder scale
- Modern Reloading Second Edition manual
- As with most kits you will need to buy additional equipment, case trimmer, dies, etc.
There are quite a few things you will need to get before you start reloading your own ammo. You can shop or each item individually but you might be better served to but a reloading kit for beginners that has all the key equipment. Plus you will likely get a better deal buying the gear in a big bundle instead of buying the a la carte.